Ribollita with Poached Eggs
Serves: 6 people
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Expertise level: 1 out of 3
For the Ribollita:
200g cavolo nero, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
1 small fennel, finely sliced
2 celery sticks, chopped
400g can cannellini beans
1 onion, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 rosemary branch
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1.25 l vegetable stock
salt and pepper
chilli powder or espelette pepper to taste
For the poached eggs:
slices of sourdough bread
6 organic eggs
1. Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, fennel, bay leaf and rosemary branch. Fry gently until the onion is soft and golden.
3. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 25 mins (the vegetables should be soft but still have a bite).
5. Add the cavolo nero to the pan and cook for a few minutes until wilted.
6. Rinse and drain the cannellini beans. Add to pan and bring everything back to the boil.
7. Leave to simmer on low heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, chilli or espelette pepper.
8. Poach the eggs when the soup is ready.
9. Heat some water in a small saucepan. Add some vinegar to the water. When the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
10. Crack the first egg and place in a ramekin.
11. Whisk the water to create a gentle whirlpool.
Recipe by The Flexitarian