Ficattole fritte (Fried dough sticks)
Serves 4 people
Cooking time: 75 minutes
Calories: 800 per serving
Expertise level: 1 out of 3
300 g flour type 00
30 g brewer's yeast
salt to taste
oil for frying
1. Flour the work surface.
2. Dissolve the yeast in half a glass of lukewarm water and a pinch of salt. Mix in the flour and, if necessary, add more water. The dough should be quite soft.
3. Roll the dough into a ball, place into a floured bowl and cover with a clean tea towel or cling film. Leave in a warm place to rise.
4. When the dough has doubled in size (around an hour), roll it out to about ½ cm thick.
5. Cut into strips and fry in hot oil.
6. Salt the ficattole and serve hot with cold meats such as Mortadella di Prato, ham, salami, and Finocchiona.