Fiori di Zucca Fritti (Fried Courgette Flowers)
Serves 4 people
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Calories: 260 per serving
Expertise level: 1 out of 3
275 ml sparkling water
185 g flour
salt to taste
1. First prepare the batter. Sieve the flour into a large bowl, and gradually add the water while mixing to avoid any lumps. Add the salt.
2. Place the batter in the fridge for at least half an hour.
3. Carefully wash the flowers, then gently immerse them into cold water.
4. Drain well and gently pat dry with a clean tea towel.
5. Using your fingers, remove the courgette flowers from the stems and then remove the pollen-covered pistils from the inside and the bits at the base of the flowers. Place the clean courgette flowers in a bowl.
6. Heat some sunflower oil in a large frying pan.
7. Gently cover the flowers in batter, one at a time, taking care not to break them.
8. Immediately add each flower to the boiling oil, making sure to turn while cooking. As soon as the flowers are ready, drain and place in a bowl lined with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
9. Serve hot.