Peposo del Valdarno (Valdarno Peppered Stew)
Serves: 4 people
Cooking time: 90 minutes
Calories: 370 per serving
Expertise level: 2 out of 3
1kg veal shank
1lt red wine (Chianti)
salt to taste
5 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
a few leaves of sage
a sprig of rosemary
4 juniper berries
1 red onion
200g tomato passata
1. Mix the ground pepper and salt in a small bowl. Finely chop the onion and carrot and put to one side.
2. Cut the veal shank into cube like pieces, not too small.
3. Roll the pieces of meat in the bowl of salt and pepper prepared earlier.
4.Place the meat in a pan with the unpeeled garlic, sage and rosemary, about 15 black peppercorns, the juniper berries, onion, carrot and tomato.
5. Cover all the ingredients with the red wine, cook on a high heat and quickly bring to the boil.
6. Once brought to the boil, reduce the heat to a minimum and leave to cook for at least another 2 hours, occasionally checking the level of the wine. If the contents of the pan are too dry, gradually add a little more wine.
7. Stir frequently during cooking.