Call us on: 302-482-5054
Dick Calabro

Toll free US/Canada 888-768-4401
Cell 302-482-5054
Recently viewed
Client Login
Email Address

Borgo San Lorenzo

Borgo San Lorenzo is located close to the Apennines approximately 30km from the City of Florence. The town itself comes under the Mugello comune of the District of Florence, an area steeped in the history of the Medici Family.

The Roman community of Anneianum stood in the location of todays Borgo San Lorenzo. Following the departure of the Romans, the villagers renamed their town after the local church of San Lorenzo and the name has remained the same since.
In the 13th Century, Borgo San Lorenzo played an important part in the negotiations between the supporters of the Empire – the Ghibellines – and the supporters of the Pope – the Guelphs. It was at the end of this Century that the town came under the control of Republic of Florence.
As part of the town defences, the Florentine Republic fortified the town and established 4 entrances. Today, parts of two of the arched entrances are still visible – the Porta Fiorentina (Florentine Gate) and the Porta dell'Orologio (Gate of the Watch).
The fortifications helped protect the town through the centuries, including repelling an attack by the French in 1527. The town did suffer some damage during World War II though.

Today in Borgo San Lorenzo
In contrast to many other towns in the region, Borgo San Lorenzo does not solely rely on tourism. Because of its strategic importance close to main roads leading from Florence north, Borgo San Lorenzo has many office based industries to drive its economy.

Essential Borgo San Lorenzo Information

Contact us
Save as bookmark
To Tuscany on Facebook