Sign in

Travel to the EU

Travel from the UK to the EU

Passport/Visa requirements

A visa is not required for leisure travel of up to 90 days within any 180-day period.

Passports should have at least 6 months validity remaining on them and be less than 10 years old, from the date of travel. Click here for the UK Government website tool to check the validity of your passport under these rules.

Click here for further guidance for passport rules to travel to Tuscany.

EU Health Insurance Card

UK issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) are valid until expiry. Click here for new applications for a free UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) The EHIC and GHIC insurance cards include cover for emergency treatment and maternity care however when travelling to the EU it is important to take out comprehensive travel insurance with sufficient healthcare cover based on personal circumstances and any additional activities you plan to do. Click here for guidance on travel insurance

Click here for further guidance on your health and safety while travelling to Tuscany.


If you are planning to drive your own car in the EU, you will need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card which is an International certificate of insurance for your UK car valid in the EU. Green Cards are available from your car insurance provider generally for a small admin cost. To Tuscany advises you to obtain your Green Card at least a month before you travel to the EU.

You need to check the equipment and documents you need in your car. Italy requires you to carry your driving licence, your vehicle’s log book (VC5) to prove you own the vehicle, a GB sticker, a reflective jacket and a warning triangle.

If you plan to hire a car in the EU, the rental firm may ask to see a digital record of your driving license. Get a free license check code for this purpose from the DVLA’s website up to 21 days before your trip.

If you hold a paper driving licence or a driving licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you may need an international-driving-permit. Click here for more details

Click here for guidance on car hire

Entering into the EU

EU or EEA border control may check you qualify for a short stay by asking to see your return ticket on arrival and that you have enough money for your stay. Also, when going through passport control you may not be able to use the EU or EEA security lanes and there may be additional security checks to verify document validity. Any meat, milk or any products containing these items cannot be taken into the EU. There are exceptions for powdered baby milk, baby food, or pet food required for medical reasons.

Click here for further guidance on personal imports

Roaming Fees

UK mobile phone operators may charge roaming fees for calls, messaging services and Internet use. Data notifications for charges exceeding £45 are required. Please check with your provider.

Pet Travel

When taking pets to the EU you will need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) and your pet will need to be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. If you wish to take your pet abroad you should speak to your vet in advance to make sure you have these in place before you are due to travel.

Click here for further guidance on pet travel

Join us


Do you want to receive weekly inspiration, villa recommendations and travel tips from our Tuscany experts?

Find out more

© 1998-2024 To Tuscany Ltd. All rights reserved.

Can we help you?